Thursday, Jan 18 2018 | Time 01:30 Hrs(IST)
image
  • Britain's lower house of parliament approves bill to sever EU ties
  • Trump says Russia helping N'Korea skirt sanctions; Pyongyang getting close on missile
  • Pak fires heavily on BSF posts in Jammu, jawan martyred
Sports Share

Golovkin-Alvarez finally take over spotlight

Golovkin-Alvarez finally take over spotlight

By Frank Pingue


Undated, Sept 15 (Reuters) Gennady Golovkin's bout on Saturday with Canelo Alvarez has not enjoyed the same anticipation as last month's clash between Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor but it is the one boxing purists are calling the fight of the year. When the clash between Kazakhstan's Golovkin, the undefeated middleweight world champion, and Mexico's Alvarez was announced last May, for about a month the showdown was being billed as the 'Fight of the Year'. But in June, the Mayweather-McGregor fight was announced and the outspoken fighters commanded the media spotlight, helped along by a four-city international media tour that stretched across three countries. The fight, which Mayweather won by technical knockout in the 10th round, was dismissed as a joke by many since mixed martial arts champion McGregor was making his professional boxing debut against one of the best boxers of all-time. But Saturday's clash between Golovkin and Alvarez for the unified middleweight world championship, which will be held at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, pits opponents who are easily the two best middleweights in boxing and two of the top pound-for-pound fighters in the sport. "Canelo against Golovkin will go down in history," said Oscar De La Hoya, whose promotional company, Golden Boy Promotions, is putting on Saturday's fight. "It will be a fight talked about for many years to come. The way Hearns and Hagler and Leonard v Hearns are still being talked about more than 30 years later." Both fighters have such a fearsome reputation for punching power that many experts are struggling to predict the outcome in what is considered an evenly-matched bout. The 35-year-old Golovkin (37-0, 33 KOs) has made 18 consecutive world middleweight title defences, while his 27-year-old opponent (49-1-1, 34 KOs) has won world titles in two divisions. Alvarez's lone defeat came against Mayweather in 2013. Unlike the brash and expletive-filled press conferences held by Mayweather and McGregor in the lead-up to their fight, Golovkin and Alvarez have struck a much different tone. "I don't want to talk too much," Golovkin said this week at their final pre-fight press conference, to which a Spanish-speaking Alvarez followed, "You know me, I don't like to talk a lot." REUTERS JW0557

More News
Shivani Amineni of India drubs fellow Indian Kaavya Sawhney to enter quarter final in ITF Juniors

Shivani Amineni of India drubs fellow Indian Kaavya Sawhney to enter quarter final in ITF Juniors

17 Jan 2018 | 9:09 PM

Kolkata, Jan 17 (UNI) Third seed in Girls Singles Under 18, Shivani Amineni of India drubs
fellow Indian Kaavya Sawhney to enter the quarter final of the ongoing DKS ITF Juniors
2018, been held at the red clay courts of the Dakshin Kalikata Sansad here today
Amineni took about 1 hr and 35 minutes to outclass unseeded Sawhney by a straight
6-4,7-5.

 Sharesee more..
Blind Cricket World Cup: India to face Pakistan in summit clash

Blind Cricket World Cup: India to face Pakistan in summit clash

17 Jan 2018 | 8:49 PM

Dubai, Jan 17 (UNI) Continuing their winning streak, a dominant India on Wednesday defeated Bangladesh by 7 wickets at the MCC Ground Ajman, UAE to enter the summit clash of the ongoing Blind Cricket One Day World Cup.

 Sharesee more..

Kyrgios keeps calm and carries on into third round

17 Jan 2018 | 8:23 PM

* Kyrgios shows maturity to beat Troicki
* Distracted by fan and helicopter in second set
* Suffers late wobble but wins in straight sets
By Martyn Herman
MELBOURNE, Jan 17 (Reuters) Nick Kyrgios's new-found calm remained intact despite a night of bizarre distractions as the fiery home favourite outplayed Serbia's Viktor Troicki to reach the Australian Open third round without conceding a set on Wednesday.

 Sharesee more..

Dimitrov survives scare against McDonald to reach third round

17 Jan 2018 | 8:21 PM

By Ian Ransom
MELBOURNE, Jan 17 (Reuters) Third seed Grigor Dimitrov suffered a huge scare against 186th-ranked qualifier Mackenzie McDonald before holding his nerve in a tension-charged decider to win 4-6 6-2 6-4 0-6 8-6 and reach the Australian Open third round on Wednesday.

 Sharesee more..

Five share first round lead at Final Qualifying Stage

17 Jan 2018 | 7:58 PM

Ahmedabad, Jan 17 (UNI) The first round of the PGTI’s Final Qualifying Stage for the 2018
season saw five golfers shoot scores of two-under-70 for the joint lead at the Kensville Golf
& Country Club here today.

 Sharesee more..
image