World


Xi Jinping proposes four-point plan for West Asia amid rising tensions

Beijing, Apr 14 (UNI) Chinese President Xi Jinping has stepped forward to play the role of a mediator in the West Asia war as he has presented a four-point proposal to promote peace and stability in the region during a meeting with Sheikh Khaled bin Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi, in Beijing.
Xi emphasized the principle of peaceful coexistence, calling for the creation of a common, comprehensive, cooperative, and sustainable security architecture for West Asia and the Gulf region. He also stressed respect for national sovereignty, urging that the sovereignty, security, and territorial integrity of all countries be fully protected, alongside the safety of personnel, facilities, and institutions, Xinhua reported.
On adherence to the principle of international rule of law, Xi said the authority of international rule of law should be upheld to prevent the world from falling back into the law of the jungle.
He further highlighted the need to coordinate development and security, calling on all parties to work together to foster a favorable environment for regional growth.
China’s diplomatic efforts come amid heightened tensions following the announcement of a two-week ceasefire between Iran and the U.S. on April 7, after 40 days of conflict.
High-stakes peace talks in Islamabad, Pakistan, aimed at ending the war, collapsed on April 12 after 21 hours of intense negotiations, jeopardizing the temporary truce brokered just days earlier. Meanwhile, fresh US action, including CENTCOM’s blockade of Iranian ports, has disrupted energy flows and sent oil prices soaring.
Beijing’s involvement positions it as a rival to Washington, ahead of crucial trade talks between Xi and US President Donald Trump next month.
China’s close ties with Iran and Russia have fueled expectations of a larger diplomatic role. Reports suggest that China may have influenced Iran’s agreement to the temporary ceasefire this week.
Foreign Ministry spokesperson Mao Ning has noted that China has made “active efforts” to end the conflict, highlighting that Foreign Minister Wang Yi has conducted 26 calls with representatives from Russia, Saudi Arabia, Germany, and Iran since US-Israel strikes on Iran began on February 28. However, she stopped short of confirming direct mediation.
UNI AAB RSA

More News

US Senate advances resolution to limit Trump's war powers in Iran war in breakthrough vote for Democrats

21 May 2026 | 1:10 AM

Washington, May 20 (UNI) The US Senate on Tuesday advanced a resolution seeking to limit President Donald Trump's war powers in the ongoing Iran war, giving the Democrats their first procedural win, following seven failed attempts to push similar measures forward.

see more..

Iran’s IRGC warns it will take war ‘beyond the region’ should US-Israel renew strikes

21 May 2026 | 1:07 AM

Tehran, May 20 (UNI) Iran's powerful theocratic guard, the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) has warned that any renewed strikes by the US or Israel would be met with strong retaliation which will extend "beyond the region."
In a statement, the IRGC said it still had not yet brought "all the capacities" of the country "into action."
"But if aggression against Iran is repeated, the regional war that had been warned of will this time spread beyond the region, and our crushing blows will bring you to ruin in places you cannot even imagine," the statement said.

see more..

IRGC says 26 commercial vessels successfully traversed Strait of Hormuz in 24hrs

21 May 2026 | 12:45 AM

Tehran, May 20 (UNI) Iran's powerful theocratic guard, the IRGC claimed Wednesday that over 26 commercial vessels had managed to successfully traverse the Strait of Hormuz in coordination with Iranian authorities over the past 24 hours, despite the ongoing heavy US naval blockade of Iranian ports.

see more..

Iran chief negotiator Md Ghalibaf accuses US of trying to reignite conflict

20 May 2026 | 11:42 PM

Tehran/Washington, May 20 (UNI) Iran's chief negotiator Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf on Wednesday accused the US of seeking to reignite the conflict with Iran and trying to push Tehran towards surrender, amid elevated tensions between the two countries in a highly volatile and fragile ceasefire, as both try to resolve differences through diplomacy.

see more..

US preparing to inform NATO's European members of a scale down in its commitments

20 May 2026 | 10:41 PM

Washington, May 20 (UNI) The Trump administration is reportedly preparing to inform the European members of NATO of a reduction from its part in the bloc's military capabilities during any major crisis, including a potential attack on a member state, as the US decides to follow through with its decision to scale back its commitments to the transatlantic alliance.

see more..