Saturday, Apr 4 2020 | Time 08:43 Hrs(IST)
image
  • China registers 19 new COVID-19, 4 death
  • Saudi Arabia welcoming any country willing to balance oil market – Energy Minister
  • Dortmund stadium converted into COVID-19 testing center
  • 180 COVID-19 patients discharged from hospitals on Chinese mainland
  • COVID-19: FIFA Working Group says all June's int'l matches should be postponed
  • Saudi foreign ministry refutes rumors that Riyadh wants to destroy shale oil market
  • COVID-19: Trump says CDC advises cloth masks, but he won't wear one
  • US to allow energy producers to store surplus oil to sell Later - Trump
  • Trump opposes delaying 2020 Presidential election due to Coronavirus
  • New Zealand confirms 82 new COVID-19 cases
  • Neymar donates 1 million dollar to curb coronavirus
  • Head of World Athletics hopes COVID-19 can be contained before autumn
  • US performs record 1 4 Million COVID-19 tests - Pence
  • Trump says America oil executive did not request bailouts, discussed tariffs
  • COVID-19: UN chief reiterates appeal for global ceasefire
World


Christchurch shootings - Brenton Tarrant pleads guilty to 51 murders

Christchurch shootings - Brenton Tarrant pleads guilty to 51 murders

Wellington, Mar 26(UNI) The man accused of carrying out the deadly attacks on two mosques in the New Zealand city of Christchurch a year ago pleaded guilty to 51 charges of murder on Thursday.

Brenton Tarrant, 29, also admitted to the attempted murder of another 40 people, and one terrorism charge.

He had previously denied the charges and was due to go on trial in June.

On 15 March last year, Tarrent dressed in military fatigues and armed with several automatic weapons shot dead 51 worshippers at Al Noor and Linwood mosques in inner-city Christchurch. Forty-nine people were injured in the attacks, which were livestreamed on the internet.The attacks were the worst in modern New Zealand history and it sent shock waves around the world, compelling the New Zealand government to bring in stricter gun laws.

New Zealand is in a state of lockdown due to the coronavirus outbreak and the plea was made at a scaled-down court hearing in Christchurch High Court on Thursday.

No members of the public were allowed in to the hearing and Tarrant, who hails from New South Wales, Australia, and his lawyers appeared via video link.

A representative from each of the two mosques that were attacked were allowed to attend the hearing to represent the victims and their families.

Sentencing will not take place until it is possible for all victims who wish to attend the hearing to do so, police said, and that will not be possible “for some time” due to the Covid-19 epidemic according to a BBC report.

Tarrant has been remanded in custody until 1 May 2020.

UNI XC ACL0753

More News
COVID-19: Trump says CDC advises cloth masks, but he won't wear one

COVID-19: Trump says CDC advises cloth masks, but he won't wear one

04 Apr 2020 | 8:24 AM

Washington, Apr 4 (UNI) US President Donald Trump said the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) recommends using a cloth face mask to protect against COVID-19, but said he does not intend to wear one himself.

see more..
COVID-19: UN chief reiterates appeal for global ceasefire

COVID-19: UN chief reiterates appeal for global ceasefire

04 Apr 2020 | 8:17 AM

United Nations, Apr 4 (UNI) United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has said that the international community should focus only on the battle against its common enemy of the COVID-19 pandemic, which is sweeping the entire world and bringing tremendous socio-economic impacts.

see more..

COVID-19: Bangladesh to bring back stranded citizens once situation improves

04 Apr 2020 | 1:24 AM

Dhaka, Apr 3 (UNI) The Bangladesh government is keeping close watch on its citizens, who remained stranded abroad due to outbreak of Covid-19, Foreign Ministry said on Friday.

see more..
Taliban violence in Badakshan claims 10 lives

Taliban violence in Badakshan claims 10 lives

03 Apr 2020 | 6:22 PM

Kabul, Afghanistan, April 3 (UNI) A Taliban raid at an Afghan army checkpoint left 10 people dead, Afghan Army spokesperson announced on Friday.

see more..
COVID-19 cases crosses 53,000 in Iran,  toll mounts to  3,294

COVID-19 cases crosses 53,000 in Iran, toll mounts to 3,294

03 Apr 2020 | 4:28 PM

Tehran, Apr 3 (UNI) Number of COVID-19 positive cases in Iran currently stands at 53,183, including 3,294 fatalities, the country's Health ministry declared on Friday.

see more..
image