Friday, Apr 20 2018 | Time 20:21 Hrs(IST)
image
image image
  • 80 lakh remaining families to be covered in Bihar under Extended PM Ujjawala Yojana
  • Clash betwen two communities in Phagwara
  • Punjab releases 60,000 gas connections on Ujjwala Diwas
  • Haryana to form Durga Vahini squads to stop women from being harassed in public spaces : CM
  • Sunanda Pushkar case: Delhi Police files affidavit, updates current status to SC
  • Kangra valley drenched as mercury dips
  • JSW Bengaluru FC best team in this season at Indian domestic level: Roca
  • APCC shows demonstration in front of SBI
  • Khattar directs DCs to get survey conducted to ensure every household has gas cylinder
  • Mehbooba express grief over death of Sachar
  • Centre extends ceasefire with NSCN-NK & NSCN-R till 2019
  • JSW Bengaluru FC beat Kingfisher East Bengal 4-1 in inaugural Hero Super Cup final
  • Warm, dusty day in Delhi, air quality poor
  • Protest by some people cannot take away excellent Q&A session, Omar
  • Cash of Rs 32 54 crore seized for Code of Conduct violations in Karnataka
World Share

More than 120 migrants feared dead at sea after boat's motor stolen - IOM

Rome, Jun 19 (Reuters) More than 120 migrants are feared to have died at the weekend when the motor of their boat was stolen, causing it to sink, the International Organization for Migration (IOM) said, citing testimony from survivors brought to Italy.
Two Sudanese men who arrived with around 1,000 other migrants at the Sicilian port of Palermo on Monday told IOM staff they left Libya in a rubber boat packed with 130 people, mainly Sudanese, IOM spokesman Flavio Di Giacomo said.
After a few hours at sea, the men said a group of Libyans caught them up. "They described (the Libyans) as pirates, but they are basically traffickers," Di Giacomo said.
"They stole the motor - something which has happened a few times recently - and at that point the boat started to take on water and sank," he said.
Passing Libyan fishermen rescued the Sudanese pair along with two Nigerian men who were the only other survivors, and put them on another migrant boat. They were eventually rescued and brought to Sicily.
"They were in shock, traumatised by what had happened, and exhausted," Di Giacomo said, adding there were no official witnesses to what had happened though migrants from the second boat confirmed the account.
Gangs in Libya have built a lucrative trade out of packing migrants into rickety boats heading for Italy, where more than 65,000 have arrived so far this year. As of June 14, 1,828 were believed to have died in the attempt, according to IOM figures.
Debate over dealing with the migrant influx is becoming increasingly bitter in Italy, whose economy is lagging behind its European peers ahead of national elections due next year.
Most of the people attempting the journey originally come Nigeria, followed by Bangladesh and other sub-Saharan countries.
REUTERS RSD 2304
More News
Kimono set to represent 196 nations at Tokyo Games

Kimono set to represent 196 nations at Tokyo Games

20 Apr 2018 | 7:21 PM

Tokyo, Apr 20 (UNI) A project is under way to create kimono illustrating the culture of each of 196 countries including Japan, aiming to showcase them at the 2020 Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics, a Jiji Press report has said.

 Sharesee more..

20 Apr 2018 | 4:42 PM

MPs from the Congress, the Nationalist Congress Party (NCP), Left parties
Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) and Communist Party of India
(CPI), the Samajwadi Party (SP), and the Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP)
signed the notice calling for the impeachment.

 Sharesee more..
UK apologises for torn India flag in anti-Modi protests

UK apologises for torn India flag in anti-Modi protests

20 Apr 2018 | 4:30 PM

London, Apr 20 (UNI) The UK has apologised after the Indian flag in London's Parliament Square was torn down amid protests against Prime Minister Narendra Modi's visit.

 Sharesee more..

Kathmandu airport closed after jet skids off runway

20 Apr 2018 | 4:04 PM

Kathmandu, Apr 20 (UNI) Kathmandu airport was closed Friday after a Malaysian jet with 139 people on board aborted its takeoff and skidded off the runway, officials said.

 Sharesee more..

China challenges Aus warships in South China Sea

20 Apr 2018 | 3:58 PM

Canberra, Apr 20 (UNI) Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull has asserted the right of the Australian navy to travel the South China Sea, after local media reported three Australian warships were challenged by the Chinese navy earlier this month.

 Sharesee more..
image