Saturday, Jan 20 2018 | Time 16:38 Hrs(IST)
image
  • Laxman outwits Gm Sivuk Vitaly, shares lead in Chennai Open
  • Russia, US likely to discuss North Korea in Moscow - Minister to TASS
  • Coast Guard Offshore Patrol Vessel launched
  • Student shot dead school principal in Yamunanagar
  • Bus fare hiked in TN after 6 years, oppn parties slam govt
  • JLR launches luxury SUV Velar; starts from Rs 78'83 lakhs
  • Tremor felt in north Bengal creating panic among people
  • Russia, U'S' likely to discuss North Korea in Moscow - Minister to TASS
  • Andal row : Emotional Vairamuthu says he respect the Goddess
  • Australian Open: Paes, Raja storm into pre-quarters
  • AIBEA's campaign against banking reforms
  • Mild intensity quake in Assam
  • Cong expresses concern over situation at LoC
  • Kerber thrashes Sharapova to reach fourth round
  • Pope defends native Amazonian peoples
Sports Share

Mary Kom steps down as boxing's national observer

Mary Kom steps down as boxing's national observer

New Delhi, Dec 1 (UNI) Rajya Sabha MP and five-time World boxing champion Mary Kom has stepped down as the national observer for Indian boxing, after Sports Minister Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore said that active athletes are debarred from the position.

"I resigned as national observer 10 days ago after having a word with Mr Rathore. I had been requested to take up the position, it was not something I had asked for," Mary Kom said.

"But at that time, I was told that I should nonetheless accept the position. I did so on request of the Ministry and I don't want unnecessary controversies about something that I had not asked for."

It was then Sports Minister Vijay Goel who had appointed 12 national observers in March this year with Mary Kom among one of them. Olympic gold medallist shooter Abhinav Bindra, Two time Olympic-medallist Sushil Kumar and former Commonwealth Games gold-medallist Akhil Kumar are among others.

However, Sushil and Mary Kom are still active national campaigners.

"I was never interested in this but accepted the position because I had been requested. I am happy to let it go and have no complaints," said the five-time world boxing champion.

UNI NC JW1620

More News

Berdych overpowers Del Potro to reach fourth round

20 Jan 2018 | 4:22 PM

MELBOURNE, Jan 20 (Reuters) Not many players overpower Juan Martin del Potro but Tomas Berdych did just that to win 6-3 6-3 6-2 and reach the fourth round of the Australian Open for the 10th time on Saturday.

 Sharesee more..

Fognini battles past Benneteau in five-set thriller

20 Jan 2018 | 4:04 PM

MELBOURNE, Jan 20 (Reuters) Italy's Fabio Fognini progressed to the round of 16 for the second time at the Australian Open with a 3-6 6-2 6-1 4-6 6-3 victory over French journeyman Julien Benneteau on Saturday.

 Sharesee more..

Australian Open: Paes, Raja storm into pre-quarters

20 Jan 2018 | 3:57 PM

Melbourne, Jan 20 (UNI) Indian doubles pair Leander Paes and Purav Raja stormed into the round of 16 in the men's doubles beating their opponents Jamie Murray and Bruno Soares 7-6, 5-7, 7-6 of the Australian Open here on Saturday.

 Sharesee more..

Talks under way to finalise North Korea participation

20 Jan 2018 | 3:46 PM

By Brian Homewood
LAUSANNE, Jan 20 (Reuters) Talks began at the International Olympic Committee (IOC) headquarters on Saturday to finalise details on North Korea's participation at the Winter Olympics in the neighbouring South next month.

 Sharesee more..

Kerber thrashes Sharapova to reach fourth round

20 Jan 2018 | 3:45 PM

MELBOURNE, Jan 20 (Reuters) Maria Sharapova's hopes of a title-winning return to the Australian Open were unceremoniously crushed by Angelique Kerber as the battle of the former champions ended 6-1 6-3 in the German's favour on Saturday.

 Sharesee more..
image