Thursday, Jan 18 2018 | Time 01:46 Hrs(IST)
image
  • Britain's lower house of parliament approves bill to sever EU ties
  • Trump says Russia helping N'Korea skirt sanctions; Pyongyang getting close on missile
  • Pak fires heavily on BSF posts in Jammu, jawan martyred
World Share

Malyasia seeks dismissal of lawsuit seeking Zakir Naik's permanent residence cancelled

Malyasia seeks dismissal of lawsuit seeking Zakir Naik's permanent residence cancelled

Kula Lumpur, Jan 3 (UNI) The Malaysian government has sought an application in the High Court seeking cancellation of controversial preacher and televangelist from India Zakir Naik’s permanent residence status in the country be struck out.

The application was filed by Persatuan Hindraf Malaysia chairperson P Waythamoorthy and 16 other citizens saying that Naik is a threat to Malaysia's safety and therefore should not be granted permanent resident status.

The National Investigative Agency in October last year filed a charge sheet in a special court in Mumbai against Naik for allegedly inciting youth to take up terror activities, giving hate speeches and promoting enmity between communities.

Senior Federal Counsel Suzana Atan and Shamsul Bolhassan questioned the legal standing of the 17 people and said that since Naik was not named as a defendant in the action, the declaration sought by the group could not be granted, reports news portal Malaysiakini.

Saying that the 17 applicants should have filed for a judicial review, the two counsel noted that the applicants had failed to show how the decisions made by the defendants - who were the Home Minister, the Immigration Department, the inspector-general of police and the National Registration Department - had affected their rights.

The petitioners' lawyer R. Kengadhran said the government had argued that his clients had no locus standi or legal standing to file the lawsuit.

“What we are saying is all plaintiffs have locus standi. Why? It is a public interest matter of grave concern, so therefore they have locus standi to initiate this action,” Malay Mail quoted him as saying.

The newspaper also quoted Adnan Seman, lawyer for Muslim rights group Perkasa which intervened in the lawsuit, said he had argued that Naik should have been made a party to the case in order to answer the claims made against him.

“The government also submitted the same arguments that Zakir Naik should be made party to the proceedings. And because Zakir Naik is not made a party, this application should be rejected and dismissed,” he told reporters after a hearing in chambers before High Court judge Datin Azizah Nawawi.

UNI SRJ

More News
Canada, US push for enforcement of NK sanctions

Canada, US push for enforcement of NK sanctions

17 Jan 2018 | 8:09 PM

Vancouver, Jan 17 (UNI) Canada and the US have pushed for the enforcement of the sanctions against North Korea, even as they urged Pyongyang to give up its nuclear weapons and embrace a more peaceful future, according to the media reports here.

 Sharesee more..
Rohingyas' return from Bangladesh should be voluntary, says UN

Rohingyas' return from Bangladesh should be voluntary, says UN

17 Jan 2018 | 7:53 PM

United Nations, Jan 17 (UNI) UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres has favoured that Rohingyas' return from Bangladesh to Myanmar should be "voluntary" and that way just moving them from camps in Bangladesh to similar ones in their own country is not desirable.

 Sharesee more..

Canada to make $3.25-mn contri to US prog on NK

17 Jan 2018 | 5:25 PM

Vancouver, Jan 17 (UNI) Canadian Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland has said Canada will contribute $3.

 Sharesee more..

Nations to consider new sanctions on N. Korea

17 Jan 2018 | 4:34 PM

Vancouver, Jan 17 (UNI) Foreign ministers of 20 countries at a meeting here agreed to consider tougher sanctions to press North Korea to give up its nuclear and ballistic missile programme.

 Sharesee more..
No action against Hafiz Saeed, says Pakistan premier

No action against Hafiz Saeed, says Pakistan premier

17 Jan 2018 | 4:14 PM

Islamabad, Jan 17 (UNI) Prime Minister Shahid Khaqan Abbasi has ruled out action against Jamaat-ud-Dawa chief Hafiz Saeed, saying that there is no case registered against him in Pakistan.

 Sharesee more..
image