Tuesday, Aug 20 2019 | Time 11:09 Hrs(IST)
image
  • Chandrayaan-2 entering Lunar orbit, a tense 30-minute operation : Sivan
  • Chandrayaan-2 inserted into Lunar Obit
  • Hong Kong gov't to start work immediately on building platform for dialogue: Carrie Lam
  • Former Raebareli MLA passes away
  • Trump, Khan discuss Kashmir on phone: White House
  • Manmohan Singh, Sonia Gandhi pay tribute to Rajiv Gandhi on his 75th birth anniv
  • 2023 FIFA Women's World Cup bid draws interest
  • Macron says confident in European future of Russia after meeting with Putin
  • Johnson discusses Brexit, trade issues with Trump
  • Dengue cases in Philippines surge to more than 188,000, with over 800 deaths
  • Johnson writes to EU, tries to reopen Brexit talks
  • US may view efforts to assist Iranian tanker as material support for terror - State Dept
  • Council of Europe supports Putin's, Macron's readiness to resume normandy talks on Ukraine
  • US Democratic leaders urge Trump not to retreat on gun background checks
World


ISIS claims responsibility for attack at Afghan Campaign Rally

ISIS claims responsibility for attack at Afghan Campaign Rally

Jalalabad(Afghanistan), Oct 3(UNI) The Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, also known as ISIS have claimed responsibility of the dastardly attack in an election campaign rally in eastern Nangarhar Province on Tuesday killing 13 and wounding dozens via its Amaq news agency.

Both the Taliban and fighters with the Afghan affiliate of the IS group are active in the province, said a report in RFE/RL.

Earlier, Attaullah Khoyani, a spokesman for the governor of Nangarhar province, said the attacker targeted a campaign rally held by Nasir Momand, a parliamentary candidate in the Kama district.

"Most of the people killed or wounded are elders who had gathered for the campaign rally," Khoyani said.

Momand is running as an independent candidate in Afghanistan’s parliamentary elections, which are scheduled for October 20.

More than 2,500 candidates will contest the ballot, which is seen as a test run for next year's presidential election. But preparations for the vote have been in turmoil for months.

Five candidates have been already killed in separate attacks before the campaigning officially started, two in Kabul and one each in Nangarhar, southern Kandahar, and northern Parwan province.

According to electoral officials so far two candidates have been abducted and their fates remain unknown, while three others have been wounded in attacks.

More than 2,000 polling centres that were supposed to open will be closed for security reasons.

UNI XC JAL 0400

More News
Johnson discusses Brexit, trade issues with Trump

Johnson discusses Brexit, trade issues with Trump

20 Aug 2019 | 8:06 AM

Washington, Aug 20 (UNI) US Donald Trump spoke to UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson and discussed a range of trade and economic issues during a phone conversation, the White House said in a statement.

see more..
Johnson writes to EU, tries to reopen Brexit talks

Johnson writes to EU, tries to reopen Brexit talks

20 Aug 2019 | 8:03 AM

London, Aug 20 (UNI) UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson launched his attempt to reopen Brexit negotiations, writing to European Council President Donald Tusk seeking the removal of the Irish backstop.

see more..

No point providing land to India for Agartala airport extension: Bangladesh opposition

20 Aug 2019 | 1:10 AM

Dhaka, Aug 19 (UNI) In the backdrop of External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar's first visit to Bangladesh, the opposition Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) on Monday said there is no reason for the country to provide its land to India in Brahmanbaria to expand Agartala airport.

see more..

No point providing land to India for Agartala airport extension: Bangladesh opposition

19 Aug 2019 | 11:41 PM

Dhaka, Aug 19 (UNI) Opposition Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) on Monday said there is no reason for Bangladesh to provide its land to India in Brahmanbaria to expand Agartala airport.

see more..
Wildfire rage: About 8,000 people evacuated in Spain

Wildfire rage: About 8,000 people evacuated in Spain

19 Aug 2019 | 11:00 PM

Gran Canaria, Aug 19 (UNI) About 8,000 people have been evacuated from their homes on here in Spain’s Canary Islands, where firefighters are battling a wildfire that has burned more than 3,400 hectares of land.

see more..
image