Thursday, Jan 24 2019 | Time 18:12 Hrs(IST)
image
  • IndiGo appoints Ronojoy Dutta as airline CEO
  • Full-fledged Budget will be opposed inside & outside Parliament: Cong
  • UK team drills record West Antarctic hole
  • Curfew imposed in Kendrapara after group clash, Bandh observed
  • Venezuela crisis: Maduro cuts ties with US
  • AAP MLA demands high-level probe into food scam during SAD-BJP regime
  • CM lays foundation stones worth crores in Darampur constituency
  • India to become top 3 economic powers of word in 10-15 yrs : Venkaiah
  • 304 MoUs signed, GIM attracts Rs 3 lakh 400 cr investment : TN CM
  • Rahul greets CA exam topper Shadab Hussain
  • EC rules out return of ballot paper
  • Airbus CEO warns of redirecting future investments amid no-deal Brexit
  • NIA arrests absconding accused Mohd Ashar in Calicut twin blast cases
  • Three of family killed as car rams into bus in Nashik
  • US Aviation Trade Unions warn of 'Unprecedented' safety threat amid govt shutdown
States » South Share

HC dismisses former TN Minister’s plea to suspend conviction.

HC dismisses former TN Minister’s plea to suspend conviction.

Chennai, Jan 11 (UNI) The Madras High Court on Friday night dismissed a petition filed by former Tamil Nadu Minister

P Balakrishna Reddy to suspend the conviction by a Special Court in connection with a stone

pelting case of 1998.



Passing orders on the petition moved by Mr. Reddy against the special court order, Justice V.Parthiban dismissed it on the ground that the charges were too serious and the sentence cannot be suspended.



On January seven, Mr Reddy was convicted and sentenced

to three year's jail term by a Special court trying cases

against MLAs and MPs, in the stone pelting case of 1998,

following which he had resigned from the Ministership as

he attracted automatic disqualification under the

Representation of People's Act.



He had filed a petition in HC seeking to suspend his conviction.



Earlier in the day, after hearing the arguments, Justice

Parthiban said he would pass order on his plea for

suspension of conviction in the evening.



When the appeal challenging the Special Court order came

up for hearing, Mr Reddy submitted that apart from the

evidence provided by a prosecution witness, there was

nothing to prove the charges against the accused.



He also submitted that witnesses and evidences showed the

charges against the first accused and not against him.



Pointing out that several onlookers were present when the

incident took place and that Mr Reddy alone could not be

blamed for the violence, he contended that his mere

participation in the protest could not make him guilty of

violence.



It may be recalled that after convicting and sentencing

Mr Reddy to three years imprisonment, Special Court Judge J Shanthi immediately suspended the sentence to enable

him to file an appeal in the High Court after he filed a memo to this effect.



In all, the court convicted 16 people, including the

Minister, out of the 108 accused in the case.



It also imposed a fine of Rs 10,000 on the former Minister.



The case pertained to stoning of buses at Bagalur near Hosur in Krishnagiri district in 1998 during a protestr Rally against illicit liquor.



Cases were registered against him under the Tamil Nadu

Public Property (Prevention of damage and loss) Act for

stoning government buses and causing damages to them.



However, following a memo filed by Mr Reddy, who was

with the BJP then, stating that he would file an appeal

in the High Court tomorrow, the Judge suspended the

sentence to enable him to file the appeal.



Mr Balakrishna Reddy said the case was filed against him by the then DMK government in 1998 when he hadp articipated in a protest rally for failing to curb

the illicit liquor menace.

UNI GV

More News

Cable Operators protest against TRAI, more than 60 lakh TV screens go blank in Karnataka

24 Jan 2019 | 5:50 PM

Bengaluru/Mysuru, Jan 24(UNI) TV screens across Karnataka using a conventional local cable connection as opposed to satellite Direct to Home services went blank in Karnataka since morning on Thursday.

 Sharesee more..
304 MoUs signed, GIM attracts Rs 3 lakh 400 cr investment : TN CM

304 MoUs signed, GIM attracts Rs 3 lakh 400 cr investment : TN CM

24 Jan 2019 | 5:41 PM

Chennai, Jan 24 (UNI) Asserting that the second edition of Global Investors Meet (GIM), which concluded on Thursday, has opened, a new chapter in the annals of Tamil Nadu, Chief Minister Edappadi K Palaniswami said 304 MoUs involving a huge investment of Rs three lakh four hundred crore were signed during the two-day event.

 Sharesee more..

LG visits visits AD Welfare Dept

24 Jan 2019 | 5:30 PM

Puducherry, Jan 24 (UNI) In a bid to ensure that the welfare schemes meant for the Scheduled castes reach them authentically and the welfare benefits are able to be obtained in a citizen friendly manner, Lt Governor Kiran Bedi visited the Adi Dravidar Welfare department on Thursday.

 Sharesee more..

Rathod tries to pacify Dr Umesh Jadav and confident of Jadav not joining BJP

24 Jan 2019 | 5:26 PM

Kalaburagi, Jan 24 (UNI) Congress high command trying to pacify the Rebel Congress MLA Dr Umesh Jadhav through Prakesh Rathod, MLC, at Pedasur Village of Kalagi taluk in the district on Thursday.

 Sharesee more..

State government plans to provide 150 days of jobs under NAREGA in drought hit taluks

24 Jan 2019 | 5:24 PM

Bengaluru, Jan 24(UNI) State government have plans to provide a 150-days of employment under the Union government funded NAREGA scheme, in over 164 drought-hit taluks in the state.

 Sharesee more..
image