Thursday, Aug 24 2017 | Time 12:25 Hrs(IST)
image
  • Six people killed and 24 injured in different car accidents in Bengal
  • SC delivers landmark ruling to uphold Right to Privacy as Fundamental Right under Art 21
  • Stalker chops off girl's hand for fending off his advances
  • Nepali PM's India visit gets deserved importance in dailies
  • KUWJ elects office bearers
  • Australia defends intelligence chief after Duterte photo
  • Sensex up by 105 pts
  • Rupee up by 7 paise against USD
  • Major currencies down
  • Big B to host KBC 9 on Sony from Aug 28
  • Big B to host KBC 9 on Sony from Aug 28
  • SI killed in Chitrakoot encounter
  • Biren Singh says Manipur will rehabilitate surrendered militants
  • Right to privacy is Fundamental Right: SC
  • Cambodia accuses US of political interference, calls US democracy "bloody and brutal"
World Share

Death toll rises in southern Libya attack, defence minister suspended

By Ayman al-Warfalli
TRIPOLI, May 20 (Reuters) A spokesman for east Libyan armed forces said that as many as 141 people had been killed a day earlier in an attack on a southern air base, and the head of Libya's United Nations-backed government suspended his defence minister pending an investigation into the incident.
Yesterday the attack at Brak Al-Shati air base shattered a truce in the area, which in recent months had become a flashpoint between military alliances based in eastern and western Libya.
It risks a major escalation in a stop-start conflict between eastern-based factions and rivals loosely aligned with current and former governments in the capital, Tripoli.
Ahmed al-Mismari, a spokesman for the eastern-based Libyan National Army (LNA), said 103 of those killed in the attack at the air base were LNA troops, most of them from the 12th Brigade stationed there.
They were attacked by a brigade from the western city of Misrata known as the Third Force, which previously controlled the base and is nominally aligned with the UN-backed Government of National Accord (GNA) in Tripoli.
Earlier yesterday, the mayor of Brak Al-Shati and a medical source in the town put the death toll at 89, though the medical official said some bodies had not been brought to the hospital. Mismari said some of the bodies were only collected yesterday.
It was not possible to independently verify the number of casualties. Local and LNA officials have said that some of those killed were civilians who appeared to have been summarily executed. Mohamed Gliwan, a spokesman for the Third Force, told local TV that LNA troops who were killed inside the base were armed.
UN Libya envoy Martin Kobler called the attack "unprovoked" and "vicious", saying it "must not push (Libya) into further, serious conflict".
GNA Prime Minister Fayez Seraj announced that he was suspending both Defence Minister Mahdi Al-Barghathi and Third Force commander Jamal Traiki, "until it is determined who was responsible for violating the ceasefire".
He condemned the escalation at Brak Al-Shati "in the strongest terms" and called for an immediate ceasefire. He denied issuing any instructions to the ministry of defence.
Barghathi is a former LNA commander turned opponent of LNA chief Khalifa Haftar. He is widely reported to have played a role in plotting past military operations against the LNA, though his ministry denied ordering Thursday's attack.
The LNA has said Islamist militants and the Benghazi Defence Brigades (BDB), whose members previously fought the LNA in Benghazi, also took part in the attack.
Mismari said the LNA had carried out air strikes in the Sabha and Jufra regions in response to the attack.
Also yesterday, a car bomb south of Benghazi killed a prominent tribal leader linked to the LNA along with five other people. The blast in Suluq, 31 miles (50 km) south of Benghazi, also wounded 26 people, a medical source said.
The LNA has been fighting a three-year campaign against Islamist militants and other opponents in Benghazi and other parts of eastern Libya.
REUTERS AKC 0454
Top News
Right to privacy is Fundamental Right: SC

Right to privacy is Fundamental Right: SC

New Delhi, Aug 24 (UNI) In a landmark judgement, the nine-judge Constitution Bench of the Supreme Court today held that right to privacy was a Fundamental Right.

see more..
   
24 Aug 2017 | 12:08 PM
Militant hideout busted, arms, ammunition recovered in Kashmir

Militant hideout busted, arms, ammunition recovered in Kashmir

Srinagar, Aug 24 (UNI) Security forces today unearthed a militant hideout and recovered arms and ammunition in north Kashmir district of Bandipora, official sources said here.

see more..
   
24 Aug 2017 | 11:48 AM
PRTC employees launch strike in Pondy

PRTC employees launch strike in Pondy

Puducherry, Aug 24 (UNI) Puducherry Road Transport Corporation (PRTC) bus operations came to a standstill as the crew resorted to a flash strike today to press their demands.

see more..
   
24 Aug 2017 | 10:16 AM
China tells US that Pakistan's security concerns must be respected

China tells US that Pakistan's security concerns must be respected

BEIJING, Aug 24 (Reuters) The United States must value Pakistan's role in Afghanistan and respect its security concerns, China's top diplomat Yang Jiechi told US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson in a phone call, according to Chinese state media.

see more..
   
24 Aug 2017 | 9:32 AM
Firefighters battle blaze at store in east London

Firefighters battle blaze at store in east London

LONDON, Aug 24 (Reuters) The London Fire Brigade said on Wednesday that 15 fire engines and 97 firefighters and officers were tackling a huge blaze in a discount store in the east of the city.

see more..
   
24 Aug 2017 | 8:58 AM
Civilians under greater threat as Raqqa fight intensifies: Amnesty

Civilians under greater threat as Raqqa fight intensifies: Amnesty

BEIRUT, Aug 24 (Reuters) Amnesty International said on Thursday a US.-led coalition campaign to oust Islamic State from Syria's Raqqa had killed hundreds of civilians, and those remaining face greater risk as the fight intensifies in its final stages.

see more..
   
24 Aug 2017 | 9:07 AM
Trump, McConnell 'united on many shared priorities' -White House

Trump, McConnell 'united on many shared priorities' -White House

WASHINGTON, Aug 24 (Reuters) US President Donald Trump and Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell remain united on many priorities and will hold previously scheduled meetings after the August recess to discuss the issues with members of the congressional leadership and the Cabinet, the White House said on Wednesday.

see more..
   
24 Aug 2017 | 9:16 AM
image