Sunday, Apr 5 2020 | Time 06:10 Hrs(IST)
image
  • Number of COVID-19 cases in Brazil rises by 1,222 to 10,278 over 24 hours- Health Ministry
  • UK to evacuate citizens from Latin America, Asia in coming days - Foreign Office
  • UAE proposes new date for World Expo 2020 in Dubai due to COVID-19 crisis - Bid Committee
  • Canada not to retaliate after US bans N95 mask export: Trudeau
  • Belarus receives thousands of COVID-19 test kits from Russia - Embassy Spokesperson
  • Russia's Rosatom continues building NPPs abroad despite COVID-19 pandemic - Rosatom Head
  • COVID-19 cases in US top 300,000: Johns Hopkins University
  • US to deploy thousands of medics to help counter COVID-19- Trump
  • Israel confirms 423 new COVID-19 cases
  • France reports 7,560 COVID-19 deaths, 6,838 in intensive care
  • COVID-19: Senior officers infected in MP capital
  • COVID-19: With seven new positive cases, HP count increases to 13
  • US COVID-19 deaths top 8,000
  • Meghalaya tracing people in contact with COVID-19 patient from Assam
  • Italy registers 124,632 coronavirus cases, death toll at 15,362
Sports


Cypriot football fixtures called off after bomb attack on referee

Nicosia, Jan 17 (Xinhua) The Cyprus Football Association (CFA) on Friday called off all football fixtures after the referees announced they would stay away from soccer fields, protesting a bomb attack on one of their colleagues, a statement of the CFA said.

"CFA announces the postponement as of today of all scheduled championship games following a decision of referees to abstain (from officiating games)," the statement said.

It was not immediately clear whether the postponement would be indefinite or until referees returned to soccer fields.

The development was the latest twist in the Cypriot football, which culminated in the bomb attack after two first division clubs said that they would complain to the Union of European Football Associations (UEFA) and International Federation of Association Football (FIFA) about corrupt referees and CFA officials.

The bomb attack was made against the car of 33-year old referee Andreas Constantinou, who had been criticized by AEL of Limassol football club for bias during a recent game which ended in a 2-2 draw.

Police said the improvised bomb went off at 1:55 am local time on Friday on the front part of the car, which was parked in the garage of the apartment building where Constantinou lives in the southeastern city of Larnaca.

The car was extensively damaged.

There have been several bomb and arson attacks targeting referees' properties in recent years in Cyprus amid claims of corruption.

Police said investigator turned their attention to Constantinou's involvement with football, specifically to the game between AEL and last in the standings football club Doxa he had officiated earlier this month that ended in a 2-2 draw.

The CFA condemned the bombing, describing it as a terrorist act and said it was deeply concerned because the act was a blow to Cypriot football as a whole and it created a climate of fear among referees.

Following a request by the CFA, Justice Minister George Savvides called an urgent meeting on Friday with CFA president George Koumas and the chief of police to consider developments.

Addressing the annual athletic awards event of the Athletic Journalists Union on Thursday night, Cyprus' President Nicos Anastasiades called for "red cards" to be shown to some referees, "who in cooperation with corrupt football officials, are responsible for the red files on games which are suspected of having been manipulated."

He was referring to an announcement by the CFA on Wednesday that it has received from the UEFA five files for two second division games and three cup games for which there was evidence of having been fixed.

The UEFA said there had been unusually heavy betting on the five games.

Anastasiades said it was time to eliminate the scourge of fixed games and warned that there would be no tolerance whatsoever by the state, which would encourage "some people who have no ties with sports but are connected to criminals, to tarnish the name of Cypriot football and that of the country."
XINHUA NC0048
More News

SAI reaches out to Hockey India via video conference to prepare for next yr Olympics plan

04 Apr 2020 | 8:29 PM

New Delhi, Apr 4 (UNI) The Sports Authority of India on Saturday via video conference reached out to Hockey India officials and coaches of national team to charter the future plan for Tokyo Olympics which has been postponed to next year amid coronavirus pandemic across the globe.

see more..

13 of 36 German football clubs face short-term insolvency

04 Apr 2020 | 5:44 PM

Berlin, Apr 4 (Xinhua) The current economic situation of many German football clubs is more drastic than expected.

see more..

Yokohama triathlon event suspended due to coronavirus

04 Apr 2020 | 5:00 PM

Tokyo, Apr 4 (Xinhua) The World Triathlon Series and World Paratriathlon Series, set to take place in Yokohama in May, have been suspended due to the global spread of the coronavirus.

see more..
'We want to help as much as we can' – England players take pay cut

'We want to help as much as we can' – England players take pay cut

04 Apr 2020 | 4:49 PM

London, Apr 4 (UNI) The centrally contracted male and female players in England have
opted to take a pay cut during the current global crisis, which has brought cricket to a
standstill.

see more..
Anirban Lahiri contributes Rs 7 lakh towards PMCARES Fund

Anirban Lahiri contributes Rs 7 lakh towards PMCARES Fund

04 Apr 2020 | 4:27 PM

New Delhi, Apr 4 (UNI) India star golfer Anirban Lahiri on Saturday pledged to donate Rs 7 lakh towards PM-CARES Fund in fight against the COVID-19 pandemic in the country.
"In these grave times that we face today I urge my fans and brethren to join me in doing our bit to support those in most need. I have pledged Rs 7,00,000 to the PM Cares Fund and also support 100 families on the Zomato Feeding India initiative," Lahiri wrote on his twitter handle.

see more..
image